Sunday, May 10, 2015

Rebuilt Temple




EXPLORE why God withheld His blessing from His people; SENSE times when our own ambitions are contrary to God's plans for us; DECIDE that we sill do exactly as God has commanded.  Haggai 1:1-4, 7-10, 12-15


Haggai 1:1-4New International Version (NIV)

A Call to Build the House of the Lord

In the second year of King Darius, on the first day of the sixth month, the word of the Lord came through the prophet Haggai to Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua son of Jozadak,[a] the high priest:
This is what the Lord Almighty says: “These people say, ‘The time has not yet come to rebuild the Lord’s house.’”
Then the word of the Lord came through the prophet Haggai: “Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?

Haggai 1:7-10New International Version (NIV)

This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways.Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build my house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honored,” says the Lord. “You expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the Lord Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with your own house. 10 Therefore, because of you the heavens have withheld their dew and the earth its crops.

Haggai 1:12-15New International Version (NIV)

12 Then Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest, and the whole remnant of the people obeyed the voice of the Lord their God and the message of the prophet Haggai, because the Lord their God had sent him. And the people feared the Lord.
13 Then Haggai, the Lord’s messenger, gave this message of the Lord to the people: “I am with you,” declares the Lord. 14 So the Lord stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of the whole remnant of the people. They came and began to work on the house of the Lord Almighty, their God, 15 on the twenty-fourth day of the sixth month.
In Focus
Darren was alienated from his family at age 22.  He and his parents argued because of his drinking and refusal to work.  He had moved in with various friends or acquaintances until his family no longer knew how to contact him and his friends no longer wanted him around.  Now at age 40, he had turned his life around married, and fathered three children who had never seen their grandparents.  However, Darren's parents never stopped loving him and never stopped trying to find him.  One day in a mall with his family, Darren saw a childhood friend.  After some catching up, the man said, "You must know that your parents are concerned about you.  They are older now.  Your dad has been ill, and it has been a difficult time for them financially and physically.  They have held on to the house in case you ever return, but it is clearly too much for them."  Darren was ashamed and said, "I have been away so long, and there are many hurt feelings between my parents and me.  To this the man responded, "You can still come back home."  But Darren went on, "I thought I would come back to my parents when I had accomplished something and made a life for myself.  However, when that happened, I told myself that I would come back when I had made enough money.  Then the Lord blessed me with money, and I said I would come back when the Lord blessed me with children.  But I never came back."  Then the man asked him, "Do you think it is right for you to live in a mansion while your parents struggle to live?  Do you suppose it is good for you to have your children while your parents lose the opportunity to be with their own child?  Do you suppose it is good for you to have wealth while your parents have spent every dime they had looking for you?"  Darren admitted his shame, and as soon as he left the mall, he went to his parents' house, still very nervous about what would happen next. Is this you, do you need to go back home? Lean on the Lord and make amends with your mother, father or both on this Mother's Day make it one to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment